Sunday, November 6, 2011

Will Your Stocks Make a Comeback?

It's difficult to know what will happen while Helicopter Ben is keeping the floor under the market but you can find one long-term prediction by clicking on the video below.

I am in the midst of reading the book, Aftershock, and it is not clear whether or not all of it is correct. I believe almost everything I have read from the book, because I look at things from a Macro perspective. My husband, who I must admit, has been dead right about our personal finances for as long as I've known him, does not believe in buying gold, selling our house (because it's a cheap place for us to live), or bailing out of dollar-denominated assets. So, as you can imagine, our discussions can occasionally become quite heated.

So, I'm not going to say that everything in Aftershock will come to pass, and I will say that Baby Boomers are in a different situation than many other folks. If you own your home outright or your mortgage payments are low, you might want to hang onto your home. The problem with selling to recoup any gains is: Where the hell do you put your profits? And, here's the dilemma:

CDs are around 1% or less. You don't want to go long on Treasuries because you know there WILL be inflation. (That has already happened with QE 1 & 2. You just haven't seen it yet.) If you were to buy gold, where would you put it? And, how would you transport it if you moved? (Don't ask me, I don't have any.) Is it safe to invest in one of those places where the corporation has physical possession of your gold, and will that company be around when The Sh*t Hits The Fan (TSHTF)?

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to see this whole video because it can't be paused, but I will see it soon. So, take what they say with a grain of salt because no one can predict the future. And, hang on to your ass because, whatever the future holds, you are probably going to need a level head.

See video discussion of the book, Aftershock here: Aftershock Video Discussion

Song of the Day: I'd Love to Change the World.

No comments: